Friday, June 14, 2013

How was your day?

Having a conversation with a 12 year old girl can sometimes be a challenge.  When Scarlett comes home from school

 I ask: How was your day? 
Response: Fine.

I ask: What did you do in school today? What's new?
Response: Nothing.

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes Scarlett has lots to say and I have to say I am lucky that we have a great relationship and she still likes to tell me things.  However, spending lots of our daytime hours apart, I an interested in how her day went.  A few years back I saw a movie, actually it came out in 1999, called The Story of Us with Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer.  It wasn't a great movie but there was one scene with the family at dinner that I enjoyed.  Each night at dinner they would ask each other what the high of their day was and what the low of their day was.  We began asking each other the questions during our dinner.  It has helped start conversations at our dinner.  It has helped us share our days with each other.   It has also helped us deal with the day's frustrations or celebrate the joys of our day.  I have to say some days my high is the conversations we have at the  table while we play highs and lows.

How about you? Do you have any suggestions for getting our kids to share more?





No comments:

Post a Comment